Marketing The City of Frederick as a location where businesses can thrive is a key objective for the Department of Economic Development (DED). Each year, DED attends and exhibits at numerous conferences and trade shows to reach targeted audiences, including vital industry sectors, elected officials, and partner organizations. At these events, the DED team expands the awareness of the community's amenities, showcases the quality of life in Frederick, and promotes the services the department can offer.
Below is an overview of the conferences and events DED participates in each year:
Local Business Events
- Chamber Business Expo
- Most recently, DED exhibited locally at the 20th Annual Frederick
Expo, organized by the Frederick County Chamber of Commerce. The
Business Expo enables the department to network with dozens of existing
Frederick employers. In collaboration with Frederick County's Office of
Economic Development, the joint presence aligned with the Expo's "Pop
Up Frederick" theme and provided the opportunity to highlight the
County's designated Main Streets.
- SMART Proc - In support of Frederick's largest employer, Fort Detrick, DED actively participates in the annual SMART Proc conference. SMART Proc provides area businesses with resources and information related to contract opportunities with Fort Detrick and the National Cancer Institute-Frederick.
- Entrepreneur Expo - The Entrepreneur Expo is organized annually by the Maryland Technology Development Corporation. The Expo provides a venue for DED to interact with leading start-ups and entrepreneurs from across Maryland. DED exhibited for the first time in November 2015 and promoted the many benefits and resources available to start-ups in Frederick.
- Atlantic Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics Summit - The AVI Summit is organized by the Tech Council of Maryland and enables the City to highlight Frederick's placement as Northern Anchor of the I-270 Technology Corridor to industry leaders and biosciences firms located in the mid-Atlantic region.
- BIO International -
Frederick County is home to the second largest concentration of life
sciences companies within Maryland. Nearly half of the County's 85 life
sciences companies are located within the City of Frederick. As a
target industry, the City and County economic development offices share a
booth space within the larger Maryland Pavilion at the BIO International Convention annually.
- Maryland Regional Biotech Forum- Hosted at the MedImmune campus in Gaithersburg, Maryland, the Maryland Regional Biotech Forum provides networking opportunities with regional players in the biotech industry. In 2015, DED's own Richard Griffin participated on panel discussing regional collaboration.
- ICSC Mid-Atlantic - The International Council of Shopping Center's Mid-Atlantic Conference promotes The City of Frederick to prospective shopping center developers, retailers, and restaurant operators.
- MML - The annual Maryland Municipal League Conference provides forum for cities and towns across Maryland to learn about the major projects planned within the City. Additionally, the City highlights the attractions, events, and amenities offered in Frederick.
- City of Frederick Day in Annapolis - Each year, the City updates legislators and state leaders on select City projects and reports on the key infrastructure and growth projects underway.
|City and County Economic Development partners joined together for the annual Chamber Expo in October 2015. The booth followed the Pop Up Community theme.|